Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Aquaman Annual #1 Review

Written by: John Ostrander
Art by: Geraldo Borges, Netho Diaz
Cover Price:$4.99
Release Date: October 30, 2013



Aquaman's resurgence has been one of the great stories of the New 52.  Geoff Johns made the King of the Sea cool and the book great.  When I heard that after two plus years an Aquaman Annual and it would be a return for the "Others I was so excited.  Now, after reading it, I wish I never did.

Aquaman Annual #1 is not good.  John Ostrander gives us a story that is confusing, ridiculous and completely unnecessary.  I know that Annual issues are often one shots that tell a side story outside of the current series run.  Some give a little more history of the characters and some are just zany fun.  To me, the best have a little of both.  Aquaman Annual #1 has neither.

The story involves Aquaman and The Others they fight Morgaine Le Fay after her failed attempt at becoming invincible and leaving Earth.  Now she wants to destroy the Planet starting with Hong Kong.  The story really doesn't make sense and there is no tension or excitement to speak of.  Also, there was no real payoff, just a "she may be alive, but at least she's injured for now" kind of ending.

 I don't want to see Morgan Le Fay again and it pains me to say I don't want to see the Others again, either.  I thought they had such promise when they were introduced, but they have over stayed their welcome very quickly.

The art of Borges and Diaz was not very good either.  Arthur looks different throughout the book, appearing younger and then older one panel after another.  The Others don't look very good either.  In fact, the book's art is average at best.

Aquaman Annual #1 is a missed opportunity.  What could have been a cool issue featuring The Others, ended up being a sub par effort that lead to me to hoping Arthur's former team will get retired for good.  Aquaman fans deserve so much better.

3.0/10




No comments:

Post a Comment