Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Batman #24 Review

Written by: Scott Snyder
Art by: Greg Capullo
Backup by: James Tynion and Rafael Albuquerque
Cover Price: $6.99
Release Date: October 9, 2013

Saved By Zero


It seems like forever since the last issue of Batman Zero Year and Bruce Wayne's declaration of becoming the Bat.  With Villains Month and Forever Evil dominating sales and discussion last month, I guess I couldn't blame anyone from forgetting little old Batman's New 52 origin story..  However, like anything great, even if it slips from your mind a bit, once you get it in your hands again you realize how much you've missed it. Missed it and love it.

To say this issue had it all is a lie.  It didn't have rocket cars, alien princesses or flying gorillas.  What it did have was a Batman fans wet dream.  Long time Batman comic fans get a nod and tribute to Batman Year One and Killing Joke.  Fans of the 66 TV show get a couple of inside jokes to make them smile. Readers following the Zero Year story from the beginning get an awesome conclusion to the books first story arc.  Most importantly, anyone who picks this issue up gets an awesome Batman story with a thrilling and satisfying conclusion filled to the brim with jaw dropping art.  Seriously, this book is outstanding.

I really can't say enough about Greg Capullo's art here.  It is simply brilliant.  The detail and care given to each panel shines through.  From the early Batcave to the ACE chemical battle...everything is perfect.  A big shout out to colorist Danny Miki who makes it all look even better if that's at all possible.

I guess I have to look for something to complain about.  My only gripe is that the character art by Rafael Albuquerque in the backup is inconsistent with Greg Capullo's main art.  Batman and Alfred look a little different and it took me out of the story a bit.  But only a bit.  It's my only complaint and believe me, it's minor.

Bits and pieces:

Batman Zero Year has gone from "Why do we need this again?" to "I can't believe I ever got along without it!".  With nods to the past and new wrinkles to make it their own, Snyder and Capullo have fashioned a story that already stands with the best of them.  What's even better is that this is only the beginning. I can't wait until next month, but at least it gives me time to pour over this issue again and again.

9.9/10


No comments:

Post a Comment