Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Aquaman #26 Review

Written by: Jeff Parker
Art by: Paul Pelletier and Netho Diaz
Cover Price: $2.99
Release Date: December 31, 2013

Up, Up...and Underwater


Aquaman has been one of the biggest successes of the New 52.  I know you've heard it before, but Geoff Johns took a character known as the butt of many a joke and turned him into a cool badass. Well, Geoff Johns has left the ocean and in dives Jeff Parker.  I love Jeff Parker's work on Batman '66, but I have to admit I was a little concerned.  It's basically my stupidity I guess, thinking just because a guy works on a campy little digital title that he can't move to one of my favorite monthly books.  He has moved in and I am very glad to say that the book barely misses a beat.  Parker continues the political intrigue that made the title so good and adds some well placed humour as well.

How do you top Aquaman #25 and Geoff Johns' run in general?  Jeff Parker does the smart thing and doesn't try too.  He just picks up and runs with it.  Arthur is still struggling with the responsibilities of being the King of Atlantis and the tension his love of the Surface World and his Queen, Mera are bringing.  There are strong undercurrents (sorry!) of treason among his top aides, but unfortunately he is too busy to actually deal with them.

When he is not dealing with underwater lava vents he has to help defeat a monster straight out of Pacific Rim.  It is huge, ugly and has a hidden secret.  That secret leads to the cliffhanger that is a real cool mystery I want to know more about...now.

Paul Pelletier's art is the bridge between the old run and Jeff Parker's beginning and it is as good as always.  Aquaman looks strong and Mera looks hot.  I'm sold.  Netho Diaz helps out and does a pretty good job of mimicking Pelletier's style.

Bits and Pieces:

Jeff Parker begins his Aquaman run on issue #26 and it's a success.  He continues the political intrigue that has made the book so good with the bonus of humour that adds a nice little touch.  It is a new reader friendly story that ends with a mysterious cliffhanger.  I hate to use bad puns, but I'm hooked all over again.

8.5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment