Thursday, January 9, 2014

Stormwatch #27 Review

Written by: Jim Starlin
Art by: Yvel Guichet
Cover Price: $2.99
Release Date: January 8, 2014

Engineer the Weird Soul of Extremax's Hellstrike A.I.


Me and Eric here at Weird Science have had many a discussion about the review process.  In particular, we talk about what type of books make for the easiest reviews.  While I would have bet it's the books we love the most, that isn't the case.  For some reason, it is the books we hate that make for the easiest reviews.  A bad issue equals an easy review and not because we skimp out on those reviews.  It's just the anger after reading a bad book seems to flow onto the page.  

That being said, Stormwatch is one of the easiest books for me to review each month.  But guess what? This month wasn't as easy as others.  Nope, Stormwatch #27 wasn't horrible.  It wasn't great either, but beggars can't be choosers.  So, I am beginning what will be my hardest review of Stormwatch I'll ever write.  Wish me luck.

Stormwatch #27 brings a bunch of things together finally.  We get to see who the soldier was who was stealing intel and who he was sending it too.  It seemed like this story line was dead in the water but it came back in a big way.  It also leads to the best parts of the issue.

The other plot line that finally picks up some speed is the team dealing with Extremax.  They finally confront him and make him an offer to help deal with the Kollective.  Unfortunately, he has his own idea and takes matters into his own hands.  Without spoiling too much, him and Jenny Soul end up getting prehistoric.  I like how the issue ends and have high hopes for another couple decent issues before the series ends.

A couple things still bother me about this book.  There are too many characters and not enough character,  Each character is so generic and forgettable.  The other issue is just a feeling I have.  Stormwatch is a holdover of the 90's Wildstorm and I wish it would embrace it.  Get all crazy 90's on my ass, Jim Starlin! This issue does do this a bit.  When they found out the traitor was stealing intel, they blast his head with a laser and yell "He's Fired".  Slammin'.  Extremax is so over the top he's great.  If only his name had one more "x" he'd be the bomb.  Then the end of the book features hoover disks and dinosaurs.  That's all that and a bag of chips.  Man I miss 90's slang and gettin all jiggy with it.

Yvel Guichet is getting better with each issue.  I like his character work this issue and one panel near the end of the book featuring the team and Extremax is really good.

Bits and Pieces:

Stormwatch #27 is the best of Jim Starlin's run so far.  Plot points are coming together and for the first time I'm looking forward to next issue.

6.5/10



No comments:

Post a Comment