Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Catwoman #30 Review

Written by: Ann Nocenti
Art by: Pat Olliffe
Cover Price: $2.99
Release Date: April 23, 2014

Stealing Money


Here we go again.  Catwoman is the book I love to hate.  Actually, I read it each month to get a couple chuckles.  Unfortunately, Ann Nocenti isn't necessarily known as a humorist.  No, the humor comes from the awful dialogue, the inane plot and just the pure ridiculousness of everything else.  After a month away, she is back and so are the laughs.

Catwoman #30 starts the "Race of Thieves" story and  I have to admit that I like the idea behind it.  A contest is being held to determine the best thief in the World.  Selina had just given up her life of crime, but who can pass up a contest?  Obviously not Catwoman.  Let the fun begin.

Unfortunately, the fun never really begins.  It gets stalled by stiff dialogue, awful characterizations, really bad storytelling, bad transitions and poor pacing.  Basically, another day at the office for Ann Nocenti.

I can't get mad at Nocenti for ruining Catwoman.  That is par for the course and until a better writer takes over it will stay that way.  I am mad at what she did to Glider and Mirror Master this issue.  The two just fought their way through Forever Evil and came out as heroes.  Ann Nocenti turns them into self serving jerks.  The charm of the honorable thieves is nowhere to be found.  Ann Nocenti don't play that.  

There is so much more nonsense, but I really don't want to waste the time to write about it.  Here is a quick list: Children's teeth, attempted suicide, feral cats, burning leather and a glass apartment.  Believe me, it sucks.

Pat Olliffe's art is not very good this month either.  It's inconsistent and often confusing so I guess it fits the book perfectly.

Bits and Pieces:

As a public service, I will continue to read and review Catwoman.  I do this so you don't have to.  I am the designated reader because friends don't let friends read Nocenti.  You can thank me later.

3.0/10

4 comments:

  1. I honestly got this issue just for Mirror Master and Glider!! Wierd Issue but stickin to it cuase of the two Rogues!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking forward to seeing them, but Nocenti just ruined them like everything else she touches.

      Delete
  2. Someone has to save Catwoman's issue....I can't take it anymoooreee!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree...hopefully DC will just let Nocenti finish up her mess soon and get a better writer. Selina deserves better. Catwoman will be featured in Batman Eternal at least.

      Delete