Saturday, July 26, 2014

Batman #33 Review

Written by: Scott Snyder
Art by: Greg Capullo
Cover Price: $4.99
Release Date: July 23, 2014

One Hell of a Year


Zero Year is coming to an end and I have a little confession.  Perhaps it's more of a revelation, but it's something I need to get off my chest.  I haven't really enjoyed Zero Year.  I know I'm in the extreme minority here.  It's not an individual issue thing, but more of a feeling as a whole.  Maybe it's fatigue because I was pumped at first and my enthusiasm has waned as each month passed.  Trust me, this isn't one of those "hate something to be cooler than you" things.


Everything I just said isn't my confession, however.  You see, to get ready for this final issue, I sat down and reread the entire arc. Guess what?  I loved it.  In fact, it is now up there as one of my favorite Batman stories of all time.  I can't explain it except to say that reading it back-to-back brought back the spark I felt at the beginning and didn't let go.  It is a tale with such depth and nuance that reading it fully without distractions made me see things I must have missed earlier.  Whatever the case may be, I'm on board with what seems like the whole DC Comic reading public.  Of course, all of this would be mute if the final issue of the arc didn't live up to it's task.  Spoiler alert, it does.  In a big, big way.

I don't want to go into particulars of this issue because everyone deserves to experience it for themselves.  I will tell you that Scott Snyder is a master at tying things up.  As he showed in his previous arcs (which were all awesome), he throws so much at the reader, but always gets back to it and gives it such sweet resolution.  This issue was so satisfying because of that.

Snyder also respects the past as he tweaks it to create a new version.  I dare say that when it comes out the other end, it's stronger for it.  Old time fans may never be happy with any change, but with an open mind I think they will find so much to love here.  They would at least have to admit that this story was needed to bring the Batman mythos truly into the New 52.  

I know I'm talking in generalities and about the arc as a whole, so I will get specific for a moment.  This issue was fucking awesome!  It may be the most satisfying book I've ever read.  So much happens and all of it is great.  I hope that's specific enough.

Greg Capullo's art is a main part of what makes this book and issue so great.  His art is so consistently great that I'm afraid it may get taken for granted. Don't make that mistake. I love that he got a chance to draw Batman in the daylight and I already miss the no-sleeve dirt bike riding Dark Knight already.

Snyder and Capullo have had such a great run on Batman,  maybe even the best ever.  Zero Year is bound to go down as one of the best Batman stories ever.  I just wonder how they will top it.  Of course, I said that after Death of the Family.  I can't wait to see what's next.

Bits and Pieces:

Batman #33 is one of the most satisfying comic books I've ever read.  Scott Snyder manages to tie everything up in a story filled with layer upon layer of greatness.  Greg Capullo's art is second to none and this arc just cements his place in the Bat Hall of Fame.  Zero Year is over and I'm not sure how Snyder and Capullo can top this masterpiece.

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment