Monday, July 21, 2014

Batman: The Jiro Kuwata Batmanga #3 Review

Written and Illustrated by: Jiro Kuwata
Translation by: Sheldon Drzka
Cover Price: $1.99
Release Date: July 19, 2014

Holy Funeral Batman!


I am so glad DC decided to release Jiro Kuwata's Batmanga.  A week ago, I wasn't even aware of it, but now I'm hooked.  This issue closes the Lord Death Man story and even though it is a bit more violent, I could see it as a very spooky Batman '66 episode.  However, I have a feeling that Lord Death Man wouldn't have made it past the censors.  Such a shame.

This issue opens at Lord Death Man's recently vacated grave.  Now that the Dynamic Duo have discovered his secret to coming back from the dead, they've left him no choice than to turn them into "beehives".  A little aside here, Kuwata loves that term when it comes to shooting someone multiple times.  I makes me laugh each time he uses it.

During the gun fight, something happens that we rarely see...Batman gets shot.  He shakes off the pain long enough to battle Lord Death Man's goons by using the Batmobile and every caped crusader's best weapon, centrifugal force.  This issue and this part in particular show the '66 influence more than the first two issues combined.  I can almost hear Adam West saying the lines.

The rest of the issue involves a great chase scene and an ending I'm pretty sure Lord Death Man won't come back form.  Or will he? Either way, Batman is heading home to clean his wounds and get ready for his next adventure.

I enjoyed the first two issues of this arc, but this is by far my favorite.  It is so much fun in a way that is so similar yet different from the Batman we know.  I can't wait to see what the next arc has in store.

Bits and Pieces:

This issue ends the Lord Death Man arc and is also my favorite issue so far.  It is a ton of fun and really feels like a lost (scary and violent) episode of the '66 series.  I've become a fast fan of Kuwata's different take on Batman and can't wait for the next issue.

9.0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment