Thursday, July 17, 2014

Batwoman #33 Review

Written by: Marc Andreyko
Art by: Jeremy Haun and Scott Kolins
Cover Price: $2.99
Release Date: July 17, 2014


Total Drama Rooftop


If you ask me, Batwoman is one of the most underrated books in the New 52.  It doesn't hinge on it's ties to the mighty Batman, instead focusing on Kate Kane's personal life as well as her caped exploits.  Of course, her personal life caused controversies in the past, but I promised to stop talking about that nonsense and move on.  So move on, I will.

Marc Andreyko opens the issue with my favorite cliche, the dream sequence.  It's all vampirey and bitey and...not real.  It shows Kate's inner grief when it comes to Maggie and her daughter, Jamie.  It also has alot to do with Nocturna.  Hmmm...



I am still not sold on Nocturna.  Yes, she's pretty cold and plenty evil, but I don't like her.  As a character or a villain.  I'm not the only one who hates her, either.   A certain Miss Witherspoon has put a hit on her.  "Killshot" is up for the task and he lives up to his name. Unfortunately, his name isn't also "Kill the right person".

Meanwhile, Kate calls up Maggie's ex-husband, James, with a proposition.  We'll have to wait until next month (or longer?) to find out what it is, but I'm already worried.  Marc Andreyko has done so well with Maggie and Kate's relationship and it just seems he's now trying to rip it apart from every direction.  Please, Marc, don't do it.

The book ends with a battle royale between Killshot, Batwoman, Night-Thief and Nocturna.  It seems as if the reader is supposed to be surprised and/or thrilled that Nocturna showed up.  I'm neither.

I know it may seem that I'm down on this issue and I guess I am.  The Kate-Maggie relationship was my favorite part and personally, It didn't seem like it needed to be shaken up.  But shaken up it is.  I just hope it doesn't all go down the drain.  And remember, I'm not the world's biggest Nocturna fan.  If you are, you can add a couple digits to my review score below.

Jeremy Haun and Scott Kolins do a great job throughout this issue.  I have really enjoyed Haun's work on this book and am so sad to see him move on.  As an added bonus, there is one panel where Nocturna looks a bit like Marceline from Adventure Time.  I know it was not on purpose, but it still made me smile.

Bits and Pieces:

This is my least favorite issue since Marc Andreyko and Jeremy Haun took over Batwoman.  Andreyko seems to be forcing drama into the book where it's not needed and I'm just not a big fan of Nocturna.  I do like Haun's art (along with Scott Kolins) and am sad to see him leaving.  It pains me, but I can't recommend this issue.

6.0/10

2 comments:

  1. Andreyko's run is horrible. He's either incapable of writing Kate or consciously disregarding the personality developed for her by Rucka. He needs to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Andreyko's take at first, but I really don't like the direction he's going. Like I said, it seems like too much forced drama and a setup for the Futures End Kate/Nocturna as lovers issue.

      Delete