Monday, July 28, 2014

Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse #11 Review

Written by: Dan Abnett
Art by: Tom Derenick
Cover Price: $0.99
Release Date: July 28, 2014

Slow and Slower



Infinite Crisis has not been very good.  In fact, I've contemplated just dropping it and spending my Monday nights doing other things like, I don't know, Spending time with my kids or talking with my Wife.  I wouldn't say I had high hopes for the title, but I had at least medium hopes that it would be some mindless good fun.  It's been pretty mindless, but I'm still waiting for the fun.  Last week, Dan Abnett gave us Cyborg, Flash and Zatanna facing Mecha Superman and crazy huge Doomsday.  It wasn't as much fun as it sounds which was a real shame.  This week we stay on Earth-44 and hopefully some fun shines through.



Cyborg, Flash and Zatanna have a little problem on their hands.  Actually, they have two humongous ones.  Mecha Superman is getting all T-800 on their asses and won't (or can't) understand they are allies.  Meanwhile, Arcane Doomsday is ripping apart Metropolis. Zatanna does what she thinks is the right thing, but it has some really unforeseen consequences.  It may really give Doomsday the advantage (as if he needed it), but also proves which side the trio's allegiance lies.

Overall, this is one of the strongest issues of this series.  Abnett does a really good job with the Flash.  His dialogue is snarky and quick, just like it should be.  After not getting enough Mecha Superman last week, the reader is treated to a pretty cool look at what makes him tick.  The main problem I had with this issue is something that's plagued this series from the beginning, the pacing.  For a book with endless possabilities, the book get stuck running in place too often.  The story is moving at a snails pace and that does not help the fun factor one bit.  I also would have liked to see more Doomsday, but it looks like we'll get it next week.

Tom Derenick's art was pretty good.  It's a little rough around the edges, but I liked the cartoony look for the characters.

Bits and Pieces:

Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse #11 is one of the stronger issues in the series.  Dan Abnett gives us some really cool Mecha Superman moments and great dialogue from the Flash.  However, the story is still moving too slow to make the book a must read.

6.8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment