Sunday, August 31, 2014

Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse #16 Review

Written by: Dan Abnett
Art by: Eduardo Francisco
Cover Price: $0.99
Release Date: August 31, 2014

Group Love


Okay, now this is what I'm talking about.  The problem with this book has been it's inconsistency.  It's been so up and down I'd like to make a joke about an elevator, but I can't think of one right now.  What I do know, however, is that things are getting better.  Besides an awful issue a couple a weeks ago, Dan Abnett has given us four good issues in five weeks including this one.  That's right, this issue is another good one.  It not only has my two favorite teams, but the return of my favorite character and the beginning of some actual story progression.  If this keeps up, I may have to start recommending this book to people.  Imagine that.



The end of last issue showed Zatanna, Cyborg, Flash and Mecha Superman sending Doomsday back to his Earth-13 home.  This issue indeed opens on Earth-13 with Arcane Supergirl, Zod and Zatanna getting their asses handed to them by Teknos.  Then Doomsday returns and saves the day.  What?!  Well, the hope was for the beast to return and the heroes to follow it and fight it on even ground.  The reality worked out a little better.  Doomsday is immediately trapped in his tomb and the resulting shock wave take care of the Teknos.

I was looking forward to a big battle, but what we get is better.  It's a meet and greet between the three main teams from the first fifteen issues.  Arcane Supergirl, Zod and Zatanna meet our Zatanna (akward), Cyborg, Flash and Mecha Superman.  Then it happens.  Sir Harold returns!  My favorite character shows up and he's brought his friends Batman, Atomic Wonder Woman, Nightmare Robin and Gaslight Catwoman.  Now this is what I call a roster and yes, I smell road trip.  It may have taken more issues than I ever would have expected, but the Fight for the Multiverse is finally on.

I really liked this issue.  Unfortunately, this isn't a great jumping on point and to get up to speed you'll have to wade through some rough spots.  However, if the series continues like this, it just may end up being worth it.

Eduardo Francisco takes over art this week and I couldn't be happier.  It's really good and his style fits the book, especially the Arcane characters.  I hope he sticks around for a while because I really like how this issue looks.

Bits and Pieces:

It may have taken a while, but Dan Abnett is hitting his stride and moving the book forward in a great direction.  The three best teams from the entire run are gathered together and the Fight for the Multiverse is finally on.  Eduardo Francisco's art is really good and I can't wait to see what happens next week.

8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment