Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Infinity Man and the Forever People #3 Review

Written by: Keith Giffen and Dan Didio
Art by: Jim Starlin
Cover Price: $2.99
Release Date: August 20, 2014

Dream a Little Dream



There are sometimes when I can't figure out a comic and it drives me insane.  Call me crazy, but I don't enjoy feeling like a dummy.  I get that enough in my everyday life.  There are other times when I can't figure out a comic and I love it.  Infinity Man and the Forever People is the later.  I'm having too much fun reading it and Dan Didio and Keith Giffen are opening a whole new world for me to enjoy with them.  It's kind of like the difference between laughing with me or laughing at me.  Didio and Giffen are laughing with me...at least I hope so.



Last issue involved a road trip to a Farm.  Yes, you heard me right.  Of course, the trip went all sorts of wrong, but it was a great way to introduce the Forever People and their unique abilities.  The issue ended with our first look at Infinity Man and it was pretty awesome.  While I can't say I fully understood what was going on (remember, I'm a dummy), I liked what we got so far.

This month, Didio and Giffen lift the veil a bit more and I like what we see.  We get more Infinity Man, but in a very different way. He tells the team the what's what and it involves some pretty heavy hitters.  Mantis makes a return visit and the Forever People again get to show their abilities in a pretty cool fight scene that also sheds more light on Mantis and why he's so pissed off.  I have to admit, I was hoping Mantis was a throwaway character, but now I want more of him.

Speaking of more, we get more Dreamer...dreaming.  However, it seems much more than that and Dreamer just may be holding back the real truth and importance of these so called dreams.  She just may hold the fate of the Universe in her head.

As if that wasn't enough, there is a brief, but great moment that shows how important the Forever People really are back on New Genesis and how much trouble they are already causing.  It pushes the book in a direction that I didn't expect, but should be fun.  Then Didio and Giffen hit us with an explosive cliffhanger.  Pun intended.

I really enjoyed this issue.  Giffen and Didio are giving the reader hints and clues as to the true nature of the book and I'm enjoying the ride.  It doesn't hurt that the tone is so much fun and that it is one of those "anything can happen" books.

Jim Starlin is on art this month and I wasn't a huge fan.  Of the three issues so far, I found this the weakest in the art department.  It is a bit upsetting to me that we've had a new artist for each issue and I really hope that ends soon.  My vote is for Tom Grummett.

Bits and Pieces:

Infinity Man and the Forever People is an odd title, but one I'm really enjoying.  Dan Didio and Keith Giffen are writing a book so different than anything else out there and seem to be having a ball doing it.  While I wish they would decide on a steady artist, I can easily recommend this to anyone looking for something fun and different.

8.6/10



No comments:

Post a Comment