Sunday, August 24, 2014

Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman #2 Review

Written by: Gail Simone
Art by: Ethan Van Sciver
Cover Price: $0.99
Release Date: August 20, 2014

(Non)Identity Crisis



I was a bit harsh in my review of Sensation Comics #1, but that wasn't because I didn't like it per se.  What upset me was the focus. For a Wonder Woman book, the issue seemed to be hijacked by the Gotham Rogues with Wonder Woman trying to be too much like Batman.  Well, we get the second part this week and Gail Simone shows that she had a plan all along (of course she did!) and makes me not only love this issue, but appreciate last week's as well.



This two part start to Sensation Comics uses Gotham and Batman to show what it is to be Wonder Woman.  It seemed odd to me at first, but Gail Simone uses the DCU's darkest city and it's craziest villains to let the reader see the greatness of our favorite Amazon. Wonder Woman herself shows what she "could" do to them (Two Face gets the most gruesome end), but that only points out how noble she is when she doesn't sink to their level.  When Wonder Woman challenges Gotham itself, it's such a great moment.

This issue also has some pretty funny moment courtesy of Catwoman and Harley Quinn.  Wonder Woman deputizes them as Amazons and lets them loose on Gotham.  The three of them battle the Rogues and after they capture them, Wonder Woman does her thing. She uses her lasso as an "eye-for-an-eye" solution to the Gotham problem.  The Joker tries to rain on the parade, but ends up defeated in such a great way.  It may not involves fists or weapons, but that's why it's so good.  It also made me chuckle.

The issue ends with Oracle impressed with Wonder Woman's resolve and an awesome shot of Batman looking to the sky and seeing a great variation to the norm.  My guess is that Batman probably was a bit annoyed by it, but I loved it.  It's funny to me that Simone left Batgirl because of how dark it was getting and then uses this first arc to say the same thing about Gotham and Batman.  Throw in the fact that Oracle is won over by Wonder Woman's actions and I'd say that it's Gail Simone 1, DC Comics 0.

Overall, I really enjoyed this issue.  I'll give Gail Simone absolute credit, because I was worried after the first issue.  I was looking forward to this series and now I'm fully on board.  I can't wait until next week.  On a side note, I wish DC Comics would rethink releasing this digitally on a Wednesday.  It's already overcrowded with regular print releases and the Batman '66 digital.  Why put it out on such a busy day?  My vote is for either Thursday or Sunday, but as I've learned throughout my life, my vote barely counts for anything.

It's no surprise that Ethan Van Sciver's art is great.  He gets to open the toy box with the Gotham rogues, but doesn't forget the focus of the book...Wonder Woman herself.  I did think this book would have a more cartoony look, but Van Sciver gives a more realistic take and it fits the story so well.  A special shoutout to Hi Fi's colors as well.  Everything pops off the page.

Bits and Pieces:

This issue not only won me over, but made me appreciate last week's as well.  Gail Simone used Gotham to show fans how great Wonder Woman was, is and always shall be.  Ethan Van Sciver's art compliments the story so well and both have me loving this book. I can't wait to see where it goes next.

9.0/10


No comments:

Post a Comment