Thursday, August 28, 2014

Superman #34 Review

Written by: Geoff Johns
Art by: John Romita Jr.
Cover Price: $3.99
Release Date: August 27, 2014

Do Superheroes Dream of Electric Villains?


There was so much hype leading up to Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr. starting their Superman run.  Three issues in and I personally think they've lived up to it.  Yes, Johns' pace is a little slower than I expected, but he's already given readers a Superman infinitely more likable than any in the series up to now.  As an added bonus, he has given Superman a nice ally and after this issue, a new mysterious villain.  I admit that I'm a Romita Jr. noob, but I've liked most of what I've seen so far.  That my friends adds up to a winner in my book.



Superman and Ulysses are a great pair.  Superman is compassionate and caring and Ulysses needs it as he finds his way in his new (old) home.  The two go see Ulysses Parents and get more of his origin story.  What happened is a bit heartbreaking, but it seems that everyone is ready to start living their lives from here on out.  I really liked the fact that Superman uses his experience in this matter to help out.  He shows he can do more than punch things and throw them into the Sun to help those in need.

The issue ends with Superman and Ulysses tracking down the tech used against Metropolis recently.  It leads them to a pretty cool villain that shows he's a real threat, but also points out that Ulysses still has a long way to go before he's a Super Man.

This issue continues the slow paced story telling that is more about character building than fists and explosions.  Superman may be a hero, but Johns is concentrating on making him a really good guy, as well.  This is a Superman I can get behind for the long run.

I have to admit, I was wary of Ulysses at first, but I've grown to like him.  Johns uses him as an alternate vision of Superman's past, but also as a mirror of what he's become.  I also like seeing Superman have a buddy that is as powerful as himself.  I'm still worried that he's more than what he's letting on, but for now I like the two of them together.

I said earlier that I like most of John Romita Jr's art, but this issue may be my least favorite.  The faces of key characters are a bit wonky looking and change shape and size throughout the issue.  This problem is more evident in the quiet scenes and unfortunately, there are a bunch of those this month.

Bits and Pieces:

Superman #34 continues the rehabilitation of Superman's character.  Geoff Johns is giving the reader a Superman you can get behind because he's just a damn nice guy.  We get more of Ulysses back story and a mysterious Villain I really want to see more of.  I can't wait to see what happens next.

8.0/10


No comments:

Post a Comment