Sunday, September 21, 2014

Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse #19 Review

Written by: Dan Abnett
Art by: Emanuel Simeoni
Cover Price: $0.99
Release Date: September 21, 2014

Awful Fate



Last week I continued my ranting about this book.  My main issue is that it seems happy to just tread water.  Maybe it's a problem inherent with a video game tie-in, but Dan Abnett and company seem to be more intent on introducing new characters instead of pushing the story forward.  Well, this week isn't any better.  Last week's ending seemed to be gearing the reader up for some real story progression, but instead we start off with a new team.  Don't get me wrong, they are pretty awesome...for a bit.  Then the issue ends inches from where the last one did. Lovely.



We are nineteen issue in and we get a new team.  Are you kidding me?  Unfortunately (or not), this may be my favorite team yet.  Dr. Fate of Earth-20, Female Green Arrow of Earth-11 and Power Girl of Earth-31 are pretty damn cool.  They are from Earths we haven't seen yet and their interactions and looks are great. They are defending Nil against an army of Nightmare Metallos (again, pretty cool) in what they think is a last stand to protect the Multiverse.  Then they die.  I wish I could say I'm surprised, but this book just kicks me in the groin every step of the way.

The issue ends with part of the regular team (ugh) coming through a bleed door ready for action.  Actually, it ends with Zod and Batman declaring they must find out what's going on.  Excuse my French, but No Shit!  That's what we get from the greatest detective? Why am I still reading this book?

This issue is not a total loss, however.  Remember I said the new team (you know, the awesome one that died) looked great.  Well, Emanuel Simeoni's art is great throughout.  I have to say that this issue is the best looking of the series and it's complimented by a great looking cover by Philip Tan.

Bits and Pieces:

Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse is not a good book.  It serves no purpose except as a lame attempt at cashing in on a game few care about.  Do yourself a favor and read Grant Morrison's The Multiversity instead.  You'll thank me now, later and forever.  By the way, the score below is for the art only because the story is a zero.

4.0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment