Thursday, October 16, 2014

Earth 2: World's End #2 Review and *SPOILERS*

Written By: Daniel H. Wilson, Marguerite Bennett, Mike Johnson
Art By: Eddy Barrows, Eber Ferreira, Tyler Kirkham, Joe Weems, Paulo Siqueira, Cam Smith, Jorge Jimenez
Cover Price: $2.99
Release Date: October 15, 2014


War!


Well last week I had a hell of a time trying to convey the story of Earth 2: World's End and I don't know if it was because I wasn't feeling well and my brain went temporarily sideways or if the book was just so jam packed with knowledge of the past, present and bits of secret past knowledge, which seems like it could haunt this world's future.  Anyway what I took away from last week's issue is that the war has just started on Earth 2 and our heroes are now facing a new threat from Apokolips in the form of the Four Furies.  While a Fury emerged from a different fire pit across the world, the one our heroes must deal with at the moment goes by the handle War and with a name like that I can only hope that our heroes will come out on top.  Let's check out what World's End has in store for us this week and maybe gleam what this series will give us in the future.

Explain It!

Like I said the story begins with our heroes squaring off against the first of four Furies who goes by the name War and she seems to be as formidable as her name suggests.  It might have been a better fight but after Commander Khan calls Batman and tells him about the other Furies showing up around the world, Batman goes and sends their powerhouse Green Lantern to go and deal with the one in Brazil and I face palmed at this strategy.  Why won't anyone let Green Lantern let loose?  Goddamn Avatar of the Green of Earth 2 and he's been forced to keep the kid gloves on since his fight with Grundy at the beginning of the Earth 2 series.  Is it that the writers are keeping him for something awesome down the line or is it that they don't know what to do with him?  Just let Alan Scott kick some ass and make me happy............ DO IT!


On top of being a bad ass it seems that War also has the ability to create Parademons out of the dead around her and unleashes her horde of berserker Parademons on our heroes and I guess since Lois, before having her consciousness placed inside a tornado making robot was technically dead, she has a serious problem with War desecrating the people that died in the ongoing war.  Even with her bad attitude working for her, Red Tornado is no match for this new menace from Apokolips.

Speaking of menaces from Apokolips, it seems that Bedlam has finally been dealt with when Mister Miracle channels his mind to Mister Terrific and Terry Sloan and creates a mental escape route to get Bedlam out of their minds.  Well more accurately he creates a escape for them, but places a trap for Bedlam inside Terry Sloan's mind and Sloan and Mister Miracle face off against Bedlam within the genius's mind for the final time.  


It's all pretty anti-climactic actually.  Sloan sees the people he killed when creating the first fire pit during the first war and then turns the tables immediately and kills Bedlam's mind when he forced him to face everyone he's killed.  So Bedlam's dead and our heroes make it back to Amazonia to touch base with Commander Khan where we learn that Apokolips itself is on a collision course with Earth and will be there in twenty four days.  I'm never going to get to see these characters just have a normal superhero life am I?

In the end we go back to the fight with War where we see that she also has the power to take over people's minds and forces Power Girl, Red Tornado and Huntress to fight Batman and Val-Zod.  I don't know if I can actually call it mind control because the heroes she affected seem to be attacking based on some hidden grudge, so maybe it's more that War pushed an idea into their minds.  Yeah that sounds a bit like mind control too.  So yeah, she has mind control powers.  


Man, I thought that Gotham was an awful place but it has nothing on Earth 2.  That's it for this week's World's End and I'm starting to fear that this weekly title might just be one huge battle after another and that's not what I wanted for this series, even with a name like World's End.  I guess I'm just being nit picky due to my delusion about what the book is and what I really wanted it to be.  Oh well, it is what it is and I better learn to deal with it because these are the events that the Earth 2 characters are dealing with and this is the only way I'll get to see the characters I love.  Holy shit do I sound like a dad that only gets to see his kids on the weekend.  Okay that's the end, see you next week.

Bits and Pieces:

For the most part the book doesn't suffer for the amount of artists here and man are there a shit ton of artists.  Only part I can complain about is the Mister Miracle story line because that section's art completely through me out of my groove because all of a sudden all the characters looked goofy as hell and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get into it.  This issue's story is for the most part what you'd expect and what I'm afraid people will get tired of if it continues, that's right a big fight scene and with a title like World's End it makes sense, but it won't hold an audience for long.  Hopefully our Earth 2 characters will get filled out more and come to life and this title will seem like it has a purpose other than face punching.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment