Monday, October 27, 2014

Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse #24 Review

Written by: Dan Abnett
Art by: Christian Dulce
Cover Price: $0.99
Release Date: October 26, 2014

Another One Bites the Dust


Looking back at this series it is very clear that I haven't been it's most vocal supporter.  Actually, I don't know who has been because I really haven't seen any indication that anyone else reads it.  It's been such an inconsistent book with a ton of lows and only a few highs.  Luckily, the highest of highs was last week.  Dan Abnett finally gave us few fans an issue that kicked butt from start to finish.  This issue was pretty good as well so I guess you can say that Abnett saved the best for last.  Why?  Because in another great move by DC, this book has ended without anyone knowing.  I can't say I'm surprised or that I didn't predict it, but why does DC make readers find out such things on their own?  Oh well, it happened before (with Justice League Beyond 2.0) and will probably happen again. However, that's an article for another day.  Let's talk about this last issue.



Last issue ended with Alexander Luthor feeling the power of the Eternity key.  The big cliffhanger was if he would go bad after all.  This issue opens with him doing the right thing and while I liked it, it felt so rushed and forced.  That's a bit of foreshadowing because the whole issue suffers form the same thing.  After Zatanna encases the Key in some pink magic, the Monitor starts up the network and  Brainiac and his army are taken care of too quickly. We also get a real out-of-place Star Wars reference for good measure.

The regular issue ends with Brainiac and his allies being returned to their own Earths as well as the Heroes.  We get six really cool pages of the best heroes from the series including Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Cyborg and Flash.  The book has an epilogue showing Alexander Luthor studying bits of the Multiverse for what may be further adventures and exploitations.  Then it ends with the cheesy and cliche, "End...?"  Oh goody.

I know it seems like I didn't like this issue, but I actually did like it more than most of the issues in this series.  It didn't top last week by any means, but Christian Dulce's art was really good and cliche aside, I didn't mind how the issue and series ended.

Bits and Pieces:

Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse #24 was a good ending to a not so good series.  The concept for this book was good and it had some great characters, but in the end, the effort didn't seem to be there.  I can't say I'm glad I read it, but I still am a little sad it's over.  Now the potential will never be realized and that is always sad.

7.0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment