Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Lobo #1 Review

Written by: Cullen Bunn
Art by: Reilly Brown
Cover Price: $2.99
Release Date: October 1, 2014

My Main Man


I must start this review with a disclaimer.  I am not the biggest Lobo fan in the World.  Somewhere that guy is sitting in his basement, looking like an overweight Gene Simmons with dreadlocks, yelling to his elderly mother to make him a hot pocket.  Nope, not me.  In fact, I don't really have much of a history with Lobo.  That's okay because this ain't your big brother's Lobo.  This is sexy time Lobo (or Faux-bo, if you will) seen in last years Villains Month issue.  I'd call him the main man, but that moniker goes to series writer Cullen Bunn.  The golden boy of villains and anti-heroes everywhere gets the unenviable task of fully replacing a cult favorite character with an already much maligned reboot and does a pretty good job of it.  I'm sure the internet chat rooms will still be in an uproar, but I enjoyed this issue and am looking forward to seeing where Bunn takes the character.


He wastes no time at all showing which Lobo this book is about.  Out with the old and in with the new is the theme and I had a laugh at the methods Lobo used to do the job. It's over the top, brutal and pretty damn hilarious.  Just what I want from this book. With that out of the way, Bunn begins to show us what makes this Lobo tick.

Through a dream (or nightmare) sequence, we get a glimpse of Lobo's past that hints at a very different life.  I'm sure that Bunn will fill in more details as we go on and I can't wait to see what put Lobo in his line of work.  Speaking of which, he no sooner takes care of his impostor before he has a new job.  Or eight.  Eight bounties, all bounty hunters themselves and all converging on one planet...Earth. Let the fun begin.

Cullen Bunn does a good job letting the reader know what to expect going forward.  Lots of action, blood and mayhem.  He's also giving us a Lobo that's more than a catch-phrase spitting, cigar smoking, killing machine.  I know some people still want that Lobo, but this ain't the 90's and I for one want more dimensions to my characters.  Hopefully after this into arc, Bunn will give us a story that's got more to it than the one here.  It's fine for an introduction, but unlike his character, it's pretty one dimensional.

Reilly Brown does a good job on art.  The cartoony vibe fits the large amounts of aliens and cool vehicles present.  His action scenes are easy to follow and bloody and keep the action moving at a fast pace.

Bits and Pieces:

Cullen Bunn does a good job of getting this book (and character) off to a fast start.  While the story may be a bit predictable and cliche, the New Lobo ( sexy time Faux-bo) is anything but.  I'm looking forward to seeing him evolve and what adventures Bunn has in store for him and us readers.  To those stuck in the 90's...take off the flannel and give it a chance.

8.0/10



No comments:

Post a Comment