Friday, October 17, 2014

Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman #10 Review

Written by: Rob Williams
Art by: Tom Lyle
Cover Price: $0.99
Release Date: October 16, 2014

Sensation Comics has been such a great title for Wonder Woman fans and the fun continues this week.  I'm a huge fan of Rob Williams (if you haven't read his recent The Royals: Masters of War series, do so now!) so when I saw he was writing this week's one-shot, I knew I'd like it.  That's why I love this book.  Every week or so a new creative team gets a shot at telling their Wonder Woman story and they range from serious character studies to fun team-ups and everything in between.  This week may be the best Byth story I've read in a long time and how can you top that?



This weeks issue opens briefly on Themyscira where Diana just doesn't fit in.  It's not that she's wearing last year's toga, but is more of a philosophical issue.  I'm not sure I agree with her teacher, but she's more warrior than scholar and that seems to be the problem.  However, in Gateway City that is no problem at all.  Especially when she is 500 foot tall and fighting a Thanagarian shape shifter presently in the form of a giant Godzilla-like monster.  Stop me if you've heard this before.

This issue is all about fitting in and guest stars.  The guest stars are some of my favorites...The Atom, Hawkman, Hawkwoman and Byth.  I'll admit that I don't have a history with Byth, but I really like what Rob Williams does with him here.  You would think that a "creature of a thousand shapes" would have no problem fitting in, but that's the rub of this story.  Like Diana, he has been exiled from his Home and just wants to find a place of his own.  Unlike Wonder Woman, he hasn't found it yet.

While a Kaiju battle for the ages wages on between them, Wonder Woman uses a strange version of the Lasso of Truth (I'd like to call it the "Electrical Cable of Admitting Things") to find out that Byth is not so bad after all.  After some cleanup, Wonder Woman and Byth fly in the Invisible Jet (hell yea!) to Themyscira where it's assumed he will live his life out as a woman. An odd ending to a really fun story.

I had a really good time reading this issue.  From the great guest stars to the heartfelt (and crazy) story, I had a smile on my face the whole time.  Again, where else are you going to get a Byth story nowadays?  This is why I love this book and can recommend this issue to just about anyone.



I enjoyed Tom Lyle's art for the most part.  Everyone looked outstanding except Wonder Woman.  It's not a huge problem and I'm not even sure I can even put my finger on it, but her character design seemed to change slightly throughout the issue. Other than that, he did a good job with the set pieces and the Invisible Jet was a great touch.



Bits and Pieces:

Wonder Woman, The Atom, Hawkman and Byth, oh my!  Rob Williams gives fans a story about fitting in even when you can change into a thousand shapes.  It's a fun time and so easy to recommend.  These are the types of stories that this book is all about.

9.0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment