Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Batman #36 Review

Written by: Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV
Art by: Greg Capullo and Graham Nolan
Cover Price: $3.99
Release Date: November 12, 2014

Face the Face


Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo started off "ENDGAME" last month in epic fashion.  It started out as an awesome Justice League versus Batman battle and ended with hints of the Joker's return.  This month, Snyder gives readers the answer to one of the oldest fanboy arguments (sort of) and Greg Capullo shows everyone why he is one of the best artists around today.  Oh yea, we also find out more about the Joker.



Who would win in a fight, Superman or Batman?  It's a question for the ages and Scott Snyder has some great fun with it.  Sure, Superman isn't really right in the head thanks to the Joker, but I'll take it anyway.  This fight will certainly be referenced in the future whenever fans talk about how Batman is always prepared.  He eschews the obvious with one of the greatest anti-Supeman weapons I have ever seen.  It's a real meaty battle, with both Batman and Superman exchanging major blows and when the smoke clears, the winner is...I don't spoil things like that, come on.  I liked the resolution though I think some may call it a cop out.

Snyder then shows us what the Joker has been up too.  Batman heads to the destroyed Arkham Asylum and the reveal is out of left field, but still cool.  The Joker's return has been in the making longer than I would have imagined.  It's been so long since the two have been face-to-face, but it's different this time.  Before, Batman was in control and the aggressor.  The tables have turned and the Joker no longer seems to be playing a game.  He's more dark and threatening than I've seen him in a long, long time.  The issue ends with a crazy cliffhanger that I'm sure isn't what it seems, but would blow the minds of everyone if it was.  I can't wait to see what happens next.

I'll admit that I was down on Zero Year a bit by the end, but I am 100% into ENDGAME.  The mystery of the Joker's return is great, but I'm more into seeing how evil he's become.  If this issue is any indication, it's going to be a rough road for anyone in his way.

This issue looks great.  From the opening dream sequence to the Batman/Superman battle and then the subdued finish in the rubble of Arkham, I can't imagine it looking any better.  FCO Plancencia's color work makes the big battle pop, but I was really impressed with the browns and greys in the Arkham scenes.

Bits and Pieces:

Batman #36 ha a lot going for it.  A fanboys wet dream, the mystery of the Joker and some of the best art in any book out today.  Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo are quickly outdoing themselves and while that seems like an impossible task, it's happening, folks.  ENDGAME is starting big and looks to get bigger real soon.

9.0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment