Saturday, November 15, 2014

Smallville: Continuity #12 Review

Written by: Bryan Q. Miller
Art by: Ig Guara
Cover Price: $0.99
Release Date: November 10, 2014

I'm not Crying, I've Got Something in My Eye


After forty issues, the comic continuation of Smallville is over with this issue.  Bryan Q. Miller has given fans so many great
stories and with so much potential still untapped, I wish it could go on forever.  I won't bore you with my theories of why it's ending or if this was indeed the original ending...that's a story for another day.  No, I'm going to focus on this final issue which is great for fans of the book and the show.





The issue opens up with Clark and Lois talking shop when they both get a message of utmost importance.  After everything that has gone wrong recently, this is finally something that they can smile about.  Fans of the book will be able to figure out one little plot thread that has been dangling for a while now.  Well, it's no longer dangling and it's a scene that is so touching and such a great bit to end this series with.  Bryan Q. Miller has done such a great job making his characters into one big family and now it's bigger and better.

The rest of the issue is all about Lois and Clark and it's nice, just not what I expected.  I have loved anytime that Lois gets the spotlight on her, but what we get here feels odd, like something is missing.  The issue ends with a disaster happening in India. Just because the book is ending, doesn't mean the World is safe from natural disasters, right?  When Tess calls Clark by his usual call sign, we get an update and a really great final panel.

I know this review is not the longest I've ever done, but it's an issue that needs to be read for yourself.  If you've been reading this series, I can't see why you wouldn't be reading it anyway.  If you are on the fence, go back and read every issue, it's so worth it.  I will tell you that this issue is a great parallel to the TV show finale and the feelings I got watching it came flooding back.

Ig Guara saved his best for last.  This issue features really good art, but it's the full page spreads that make it rise to the top.  One in particular is an iconic pose that has recently been reserved for Superman and Wonder Woman.  I think I like Lois and Clark doing it even better.

Bits and Pieces:

Smallville: Continuity #12 is a really good final issue that brought back memories of the TV Show finale while tying up the comic's loose ends.  I really wish this book wasn't ending, but at least fans will get a finale  that will make them smile.  Thanks goes out to Bryan Q. Miller for such a great series.

9.0/10

No comments:

Post a Comment