Sunday, December 21, 2014

Fables: The Wolf Among Us #2 Review

Written by: Dave Justus and Matthew Sturges
Art by: Shawn McManus
Cover Price: $0.99
Release Date: December 17, 2014

Story Time


The first issue of Fables: The Wolf Among Us was my introduction into the Fables Universe.  Even though I had never read a Fables comic or played the video game this series is based on, I really enjoyed it.  Dave Justus and Matthew Sturges did a great job of introducing the  Fables characters and setting that I felt right at home from the get go.  I couldn't wait to read the continuation of Bigby Wolf's story and I'm glad to say that this second issue is just as impressive as the first.  It may feature fairy tale characters, but this is one of the best mature titles in the DC stable right now.



Last issue ended with Bigby and Woody flying out a window into the street below.  This issue opens up by showing what happened to them and it's clear that Toad is none too happy.  Not only does Toad have to pay for a glamour touch up, but also a new car.  Bigby's landing pretty much totaled the old one.  The fight is not over, however.

It doesn't take a genius to guess who Bigby and the Woodsman really are and so you can be sure these two will fight until someone is dead and then fight some more.  Woody takes it one step further here and tries to make Bigby show his big, bad self. It almost works, but then the mysterious woman from the first issue plants Woody's axe right in the top of his ugly head.

The remainder of the issue shows how good a guy Bigby is and how mysterious this woman can be.  It's no surprise that she's a prostitute and she obviously can handle herself, but who does she work for and whats with that ribbon around her neck?  The issue ends with a lot of unanswered questions.  I can't wait until they are answered, but I'm sure there will be plenty more to take their place.

I am really enjoying my initial trip into the Fables Universe.  I'm learning on the job and Justus and Struges continue guiding me without holding my hand.  The pacing of this issue is great and the dialogue is mature and natural.

The one drawback to most digital weeklies is the constantly changing artists.  Shawn McManus jumps on this issue and I have no complaints.  While his art is a bit more cartoony than Steve Sadowsky's from the first issue, I really liked it.  The bar has been set pretty high for all the artists that follow these two.

Bits and Pieces:

Fables: The Wolf Among Us #2 is another really good issue for this young series.  The mature storytelling feels fresh and the art is really good.  Things obviously never go right for Bigby Wolf and if I was a betting man, I'd say they are about to get worse.  I know I'll be there no matter what because I'm sold on this series.  Highly Recommended.

9.3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment