Thursday, January 29, 2015

Harley Quinn #14 Review

Written by: Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti
Art by: Chad Hardin
Cover Price: $2.99
Release Date: January 28, 2015

Who Ordered the Catch Up?


I've got a little secret to tell you...before this book, I was not a huge Harley Quinn fan.  In fact, I didn't really care for her that much at all.  I can't really explain why, it was just one of those things.  I guess Haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate.  That is why Eric reviewed it when it first came out.  However, because of strange release schedules, he had an overload one week and I agreed to take it off his hands.  Maybe it was fate, maybe it was luck or maybe it was the kick ass creative team, but after reading that first issue, I was hooked.  Pop culture references, potty humor and sexy outfits?  Count me in as a newly minted fan.  Now every couple of weeks I get to sit down, open up Harley and LMFAO.  How was this issue?  Is my ass on the floor or is it still attached?  Let's find out.

Anybody who had doubts about how good Harley Quinn is can just read the Power Girl/Harley team up arc that just ended.  Not only was it hilarious (no surprise there), but it was also a kick-ass story with action, drama and a couple heartfelt moments thrown in for good measure.  Oh yea, there was also a ton of boob jokes, you can't forget the boob jokes.  Even though I knew it wouldn't last, when Power Girl flew off I was genuinely sad.  However, the show must go on and Conner and Palmiotti use this issue to remind fans that they haven't forgotten all the plot threads that were put on hold during Power Girl's visit.

If you had anything that made you chuckle in this book, there is a good chance it's here in this issue.   Egg Fu, Harley's pets, Dr. Quinzel, Roller Derby, Sy Borgman...the list even grows a little bit longer.  I'm looking at you, Seymour Bupkin!  The thing that ties everything together is Harley trying to get her life together.  Of course, things don't work out as she plans and in the end, everything is even more messed up.

I really like the way Palmiotti and Conner use this issue to hit the reset button and get things back to what was left behind. Because of that, it is a good jumping on point for new readers and I suggest anyone who isn't reading, to do so now. Unfortunately, because of all that, it's a bit of catch up and setup for faithful fans.  It is fun catch up, though.

Chad Hardin is obviously having fun doing this book.  He gets to draw robot gorillas and dinosaurs, S&M geezers and weiner dogs.  What more could you ask for?  Thankfully, he makes all those and everything else Palmiotti and Conner throw at him look awesome.  I also have to give Alex Sinclair a shout out for his excellent color work that makes everything look that much better.

Bits and Pieces:

This issue is a great reminder of everything that was left hanging before Power Girl crashed the party the last bunch of issues. Palmiotti and Conner give us an issue that's great for newcomers, but a little repetitive for longtime fans.  It's mostly setup, but it's fun setup.  Harley is trying to get her life together and I'm sure it's no surprise that things don't go quite as planned.  It will all continue next issue and I'll be there with my ass on the floor.

8.0/10




No comments:

Post a Comment