Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse #32 Review

Written by: Dan Abnett
Art by: Alejandro Sanchez
Cover Price: $0.99
Release Date: January 16, 2014

Luthor Was Right


If a review hits the Internet and nobody cares, does it actually exist?  That's what I think every time I review Infinite Crisis. Nobody seems to care about this book, let alone review it.  To mix metaphors, I feel like I'm on a deserted island with only Alexander Luthor, Nightmare Damian and Atomic Wonder Woman to keep me company.  Somebody shoot me!  I know that sounds pretty harsh, but this book barely can justify it's existence.  Following on the coattails of Injustice: Gods Among Us, this book is a video game tie-in, but the comparisons end there.  While Injustice is a great book in it's own right, Infinite Crisis isn't good on any level.  The story isn't intriguing and the potential of cool characters is wasted.  Dan Abnett has given us a book where everyone, characters and readers, are just standing around waiting for something to happen.  Unfortunately, this issue is more of the same.


This issue is a continuation of the Earth Engine dilemma.  It's no shocker since we've been dealing with just that the past bunch of issues.  While the arrival of the Monitor, Nix Uotan, at the end of last issue had me hoping for some major story development, that doesn't really happen at first.  In fact, we play catch up a bit with Alexander Luthor pleading his innocence and everyone else standing around as usual.  Finally, the Monitor gives us something new...they must locate the Earth Engine's activation device.

I said "new", I didn't say "good".  I know that this is a video game tie-in, but does Dan Abnett have to make it so obvious?!  The heroes gather together and come up with a plan of attack...travel the Multiverse in search of the device.  Pretty much what we've got since the beginning.  Then the book takes a turn for the worse, if that's possible.  While Luthor begs everyone to listen to him, the Monitor acts like a pompous ass and tries to disable the Earth Engine.  The results are immediate and if the cliffhanger is to be believed, deadly.

I am really trying my best to give this book a fair shake, but I am just growing so tired of it.  It started off feeling like a cash grab and hasn't convinced me otherwise since.  I'm sure there will be those who will say I don't "get it" because I don't play the game, but that is just a poor excuse.  Dan Abnett and company should be writing a book that makes me interested in the setting and the characters but unfortunately, they have not and I am not.

One of the only things that has been consistently good has been the art.  Alejandro Sanchez continues the trend this week by giving the reader a damn fine issue to look at.  I often wonder if an artist likes to draw such a huge roster of characters in an issue, but DC did a good job picking artists who are good at it.

Bits and Pieces:

This issue continues to have the same problems that have plagued it from the start...mainly being unnecessary.  I don't think fans of the game will enjoy it and there is nothing going on to grab the uninitiated either.  In the end, I just wish this book would quietly fade away into obscurity.

2.0/10


1 comment: