Saturday, March 7, 2015

Batman: Arkham Knight #3 Review

Written by: Peter J. Tomasi
Art by:Viktor Bogdanovic
Cover Price: $0.99
Release Date: March 6, 2015

Bad Knight, and Good Luck


I have really been impressed with this book so far.  Sure, I'm part of the target audience being a huge fan of Rocksteady's Arkham games, but it goes beyond that.  Peter J. Tomasi's story has been both exciting and intriguing and Viktor Bogdanovic is a star in the making.  This book doesn't come off as a cheap cash grab by any stretch and I truly respect that.  This issue is the ending of the first arc (which will be collected as one print issue) and I'm glad to say that it's as good as the two before it.  How so?  Let's find out...



Last issue ended with Batman heading off to Arkham to dismantle the bombs the now dead Joker put there for him.  That;s exciting enough, but the fact that the Arkham Knight was looking on made me so excited to read this issue.  We do get a bit of the Arkham Knight, but it's just enough to make you crave more.  Damn you, Tomasi!  We seem to be far from finding out his true identity, but one things for sure...he don't like Batman one bit.  Then Arkham blows up.  Yep, the bombs go off and while both Batman and AK live, their paths are separated for now.  The Arkham Knight finds a very interesting souvenir (very conveniently I may add) while Batman ends up under water.




We then get a brief peek at Scarecrow...yep, he's back!  The scene references the radio message from Arkham City ("Fear will tear Gotham to shreds!") and he looks so bad ass.  I knew that he was going to be a major player in Arkham Knight, but seeing him here in the flesh has me so pumped.



Meanwhile, Batman has set up a meeting with Jim Gordon to deal with this whole Joker's body thing. Gordon gives Batman the flash drive found on (or "in" to be exact) Joker's body.  When Batman sends it to Alfred in the Batcave to be looked at, the result is pretty awesome.  As the cliffhanger, we don't get a lot, but just the name of it has me geared up for next issue.

This issue and the first arc in general has me so into this series already. Tomasi does a great job of making everything new user friendly while having tons for fans of the source material.  I want to know everything about the Arkham Knight NOW and seeing Scarecrow put a huge smile on my face. For Digital First fans, this is finally the book to replace the cancelled Smallville Season 11.

One thing I wouldn't replace is Viktor Bogdanovic.  I already have the feeling that I'll be singing his praises to the point of being a fanboy, but I don't care.  I knows what I likes and I likes his art.  Kudos go to the rest of the art team of John Rauch (colors) and Art Thibert (Inks) who combine with Bogdanovic to make this one of the best looking books period.

Bits and Pieces:

This issue may end the first arc, but things are just getting started.  I'm glad for that because this book has quickly become one that I look forward to each week.  Check it out if you are a fan of the Arkham games, Batman or quality comics.  It is that good and well worth the $0.99 investment.

9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment