Sunday, March 22, 2015

DC Comics Best Covers of the Week 3/21/15

I haven't done this column for quite a while now.  I would chalk it up to me being lazy, but in my defense, we have started our podcast and it has taken up a huge part of my weekends.  On second thought, I've been pretty lazy.  Well, what better week to start back up then the crazy one we just got through.  You couldn't take a step this week without hearing about the whole Batgirl variant cover controversy (including a certain podcast with weird and science in the title) and everyone seemed to have an opinion and were happy to share it (including two guys named Jim and Eric).  Let's try to all take a deep breath, let the anger flow out of us, open up your heart and let the sunshine in.  Sing it with me:


    Mommy told me somethingA little kid should know
    It's all about the devil
    And I've learned to hate him so
    She said he causes trouble
    When you let him in the room,
    He will never ever leave you
    If your heart is filled with gloom

    So let the sun shine in
    Face it with a grin
    Smilers never lose
    And frowners never win
    So let the sun shine in
    Face it with a grin
    Open up your heart and let the sun shine in


Cover of the Week

Batwoman #40 (Rafael Albuquerque)

What can I say, after this crazy week, Rafael deserves this.  I have loved every Batwoman cover that he has done and this one is my favorite.  One of the reasons that I am sad that Batwoman is cancelled is because we won't get any more of these covers.




Runners Up

Batgirl #40 (Cameron Stewart)

See, on this list, everyone can get along.  This cover is just awesome and highlights the coolness and excitement of the issue. New Batgirl versus Old Batgirl in a fight that could be about the character, fans, creators an all of the above.  No matter where you stand on this whole Batgirl issue, you have to love this cover.






Trinity of Sin #6 (Guillem March and Tomeu Morey)

This cover satisfies my "Every Week Must Include Guillem" rule. This is yet another book that will not be back in June and another book that had great covers.  It's just pure badassdom and is one that had me grabbing the issue right off the shelf.








Supergirl #40 (Emanuela Lupacchino and Rico Renzi)

Here's another canceled book with a kick ass cover.  Emanuela Lupacchino shows what fans of the series know already...she can draw the hell out of Supergirl.  We also get Comet, Maxima, Tsavo and Mike.  I wish Superboy could have made it for the shoot, but besides that...perfect.  On a side note, I am glad to see that Mike has made it out of the Friend Zone and that Maxima got the last issue to show how strong she really is.  This story deserved more time...



Earth 2: World's End #24 (Ben Oliver)

This cover is just epic.  Darkseid looking all menacing, about to take down Power Girl.  Of course, if you read the issue, it didn't quite turn out that way.  That doesn't matter because this cover looks like a water color from hell (or Apokolips) and I love it.











That's it for this week.  I will try to keep on it and get back on schedule with this column which should get back to a Saturday thing.  There were a bunch of other really good covers and I look forward to getting yelled at about all the one's I didn't include.  See you all next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment