Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Injustice: Year Three #23 Review

Written by: Brian Buccellato
Art by: Mike S. Miller
Cover Price: $0.99
Release Date: February 3, 2015

Wakey! Wakey!


Injustice: Year Three is coming to an end soon and while it's obvious that some heavy stuff is going down, Brian Buccellato is doing a really good job of keeping readers on their toes.  This Year hasn't had the usual long string of deaths, but instead has kept everyone guessing on what will happen and how it will end.  After this issue, I'm still guessing, but I have a few theories and they all center on one English bloke who likes to smoke.



Last issue ended with Flash saving all the heroes from the reality destruction being caused by Mxyzptlk and Trigon.  Actually, not every hero was saved as one is dead (Huntress) and one is currently residing in Hell (Swamp Thing).  While I was hoping to see more of the Avatar of the Green, we'll have to wait for that.  What we do see is that Flash pulled a "fast" one and separated the Teams into two houses...the House of Mystery for Team Batman and the House of Secrets for Team Superman.  That may seem important at first, but it's only temporary as the reality around (and in) each is being torn apart.

I was a huge fan of Mxyzptlk and Trigon entering the book so it's a great twist that those two could end everything...and I mean EVERYTHING!  While both Teams regroup, Deadwing comes up with a plan and Batman has some questions for Constantine.  Dick flies off to "recruit" Billy Batson, but it may already be too late.  As far as Constantine is concerned, I'm with Batman.  Constantine knows more than he's letting on and is really starting to fit the bill on a very important part of Madam Xanadu's earlier prophecy.

 The issue ends with both Houses in grave danger, Deadwing and Billy going off to confront the two reality wreckers and another Empress awakening.  I really can't wait to see what happens next issue and I'm really starting to hope that it involves one John Constantine on the wrong end of some Hellfire...or at least a Batman one-punch!

With only two issues left in the Year, this issue was bound to have some major setup for the stretch run and it does.  However, Buccellato makes sure it isn't of the filler variety.  Everything here feels big and important and I loved it.  I don't want to go without saying that this issue finally feels like Buccellato has full grip on the entire cast of characters as well.  He did jump into this book midyear so it was understandable that it might take a bit to get his feet wet.  Consider his feet soaking wet after this issue.

Mike S. Miller's art is good, I just wish he did a better job with Constantine.  His character model was a bit off and being such a key figure this issue (and this Year), it was disappointing.  It wasn't enough to ruin anything about this issue, but it was a bit of a letdown.

Bits and Pieces:

This issue sets up a whole lot of craziness for the rest of this Year and the cliffhanger is a jaw dropper.  Everyone is in danger and it looks like it is going to get worse before it gets better.  Brian Buccellato is really getting comfortable with the cast of characters and it only has me geared up for next week.  I hope the art will keep the pace because Year Three looks to have an action packed finale.

9.0/10


4 comments:

  1. I am not a big fan of Mike S. Miller, but the last panel is most beautiful! Raven just grabs my full attention; she seems to be the one who's absorbing everyone's powers the whole time. What she plans for Bruce's and Constantine's team will be catastrophic! Finally, in this issue, the moment for Damian's meeting Dick, and god help me I can't keep my eyes away from Dick's ass :) that's kind of the one thing I love about Miller's art. Lovely moment. I want to write some after story about them. Oh, did Batman just say that Billy will be temporally in another dimension after he calls on Shazam? OMG does that mean one less death in the game's ending?
    LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING BRUNO'S ART AND YEAR FINALE NEXT WEEK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with Raven...she looked great and is definitely absorbing the powers. I want Bruno on every issue...his art is so good, especially Constantine.
      The Damian and Dick part was a highlight and when doesn't Dick's ass look great? Am I right or am I right?!

      I spoke with Buccellato and this year has 25 issues...two more issues of coolness. I can't wait.

      Delete
  2. But... WHERE'S HARLEY??

    ReplyDelete