Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Weird Thoughts: Week Two of DC Comics June Sneak Peeks

If you are like me, you love crappy food filled with cheese...I'm sorry, that's for a different column.  Okay, let's start over.  If you are like me, when new comic book day rolls around on Wednesday, you grab up all of your Convergence finale issues and flip immediately to the backs to see which previews are in each.  I know what your saying, "But Jim, I already know what preview is in each book" or "I download the previews digitally by themselves."  Just give me a damn break, will you?  I have to write double digit introduction paragraphs a week and even a guy with extreme diarrhea of the mouth runs out of things to say.  Most people skip these things and get to the main story anyway. In fact, I'm skipping the rest of what I had to say (which wasn't much) and getting to our Weird Thoughts...



Action Comics

Written by: Greg Pak
Art by: Aaron Kuder and Wil Quintana

Jim's Take

I read and review Action Comics every month and boy, am I glad!  The preview lists Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder as the "storytellers" and this preview shows why.  In eight pages, Pak and Kuder have me so pumped up for this book.  The ending says "Everything Changes", but shit is already changing and it's not all for the better.  If you want to know the backstory to Superman's costume change, read this.  Seriously, if you aren't already reading Action Comics each month and this doesn't convince you to start, you're dead to me.  This is my favorite preview of the week and near the top overall.

Eric's Take

It's funny to me that the thing that really got me into this story and got me pumped for June is the color work on this sneak peek that I doubt will continue next month.  Yeah, this short has me interested in what's going down when Action Comics returns, so it did it's job........ But when am I going to see more color work like this?  It's pretty bad ass.




Aquaman


Written by: Cullen Bunn
Art by: Trevor McCarthy and Guy Major



Jim's Take

Cullen Bunn and Trevor McCarthy take over the book and the tides they are a changin'.  I have no idea what happened since Arthur finally found his mother, Atlanna, but it sure doesn't look good. Actually, it looks pretty damn good thanks to Trevor McCarthy.  I just don't know if it fits Aquaman. I guess time will tell on all fronts, but I am a little wary that Cullen Bunn may be drifting too far from the foundation that Geoff Johns and Jeff Parker set for this book.  Also, I don't like the new costume at all.


Eric's Take

I don't know if I'm sold on this new look for Aquaman, but I am interested to find out what led to the honeymoon being over after Mera met Arthur's mother.  I hear ya Mera, mother in laws are the worst.  I begin reviewing this book in June so I really hope that Cullen's take on the King of Atlantis is a strong one because I was really looking forward to taking over Aquaman.  I gotta say though, while having Mera sitting on the throne and being behind the hunt for Aquamn was cool, I was really hoping to get Ocean Master back.  I've really missed him since Forever Evil.







Bat-Mite

Written by: Dan Jurgens
Art by: Corin Howell and Mike Atiyeh

Jim's Take:

I'll admit that I was surprised by how much I liked this preview.  I was never a huge fan of Bat-Mite and worried that this book would just be a bunch of nonsense.  It looks like a whole bunch of fun, but the thing that won me over is that Bat-Mite is making it his mission to "save" DC characters who he deems need saving.  I hope this means a lineup of B and C listers like Firestorm, Blue Beetle and maybe even Simon Baz?!?!  Please make it so, Dan Jurgens.


Eric's Take

I love Bat-Mite and thanks to the Batman: The Brave and The Bold cartoon, whenever I see the little imp, all I hear is Paul Rubins spouting off his dialog in my head........... which may sound bad, but it's usually Peewee Herman so you take the good with the bad.  The only problem that I had for this preview is that I went in thinking that Batman already knew Bat-Mite because of the first page spelling out what the Bat-Mite title would be and I was really looking forward to that great dynamic between those two because of how annoyed Batman gets at his biggest fan.  So yeah, I didn't get that here but that's not going to stop me from reading the hell out of this six issue mini in June.





Bizarro

Written by: Heath Corson
Art by: Gustavo Duarte and Pete Pantazis


Jim's Take:

I love Bizarro and I loved this preview.  While a certain guy on this site (Eric) says that Bizarro talk gives him a headache, I love it.  Throw in Jimmy Olsen and a road trip to Canada (or Bizarro America) and this should be one fun ride.  Gustavo Duarte's art looks great and I am so glad I am reviewing this.


Eric's Take

Road To Canada!  Take that Bob Hope and Bing Crosby, Bizarro and Jimmy are the new yous.  Like Jim said I have a hard time with Bizarro speak, while in small doses I can deal with it like here, my mind just rejects it and starts banging around on the inside of my skull.  Besides for my mental problems though, this looks like it will be a lot of fun and I especially loved the art for this book.







Deathstroke

Written by: Tony S. Daniels
Art by: Peter Nguyen and Tomeu Morey


Jim's Take

For everyone who is already reading Deathstroke, this preview should have you excited and a little bit confused.  Excited because the idea of Slade going off to kill a god is so badass, but confused because Peter Nguyen does the art here.  I'm not saying it's bad...actually, it is awesome.  It's just not Tony S. Daniels.  It seems that Nguyen is just here for this preview and Daniels will be back as writer/artist.  After the crazy family reunion readers went through in the first bunch of issues, I am really looking forward to this story.


Eric's Take

I really didn't care for the art or the story of this preview until about the last two pages but even this awesome cliffhanger doesn't really make me want to read Deathstroke in June.  Hopefully the creative team will make me shut my damn mouth and blow me away, but I'm taking a wait and see approach to this.






Dr. Fate

Written by: Paul Levitz
Art by: Sonny Liew

Jim's Take:

Maybe this book is not for me, but it was my least favorite of ALL of the previews so far.  I found the writing insulting and while I didn't mind the art, it doesn't feel right for this story.  I'm not writing it off, but I am very glad that I won't be reviewing it.


Eric's Take

I love Doctor Fate.............. but there wasn't anything about this preview that made me want to read this new title in June.  It seems boring, I didn't care for the art, plus Paul Levitz is writing it and he hasn't given me anything but grief since we started this site........That is all








Gotham by Midnight

Written by: Ray Fawkes
Art by: Juan Ferreyra

Jim's Take: 

This is another book that isn't necessarily for me, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of it.  Juan Ferreyra's art is so good and it looks like a perfect match for Ray Fawkes' story.  I hope this book takes off and sticks around for a while because I know that Eric likes it and I'm a nice guy like that.


Eric's Take

It's not that I've soured a bit on this title before Convergence, I think it's more that I got frustrated.  Ben Templesmith is an amazing artist, but when he was on this title, I found that some of the ins and outs of what were going on were lost to me........... But man am I looking forward to this coming back in June with Juan Ferreyra's art.  Besides for Jim Corrigan looking like Constantine at times, this preview looked amazing and I'm ready to get my supernatural Gotham on.







Green Lantern: The The Lost Army

Written by: Cullen Bunn
Art by: Jesus Saiz

Jim's Take:

This was one of the previews I had been looking most forward to.  What the hell is this Lost Army?  Well, it involves John Stewart and it's written by Cullen Bunn so I'm in.  While the story here didn't clear much up, it intrigued me and I loved Jesus Saiz's art.  I was also a bit confused about the name of the book.  Is it "Green Lantern Corps: Lost Army" like the cover says or "Green Lantern: The Lost Army" like the ending says?  I'm going with the latter.


Eric's Take

I really don't know what to make of this preview except that I love that John Stewart gets a chance to shine again here and that the art is freaking great.  I love the Green Lantern books and I hope that this will give us enough to satiate our need for Green now that New Guardians and Red Lanterns are over........... and holy shit Krona!






Justice League 3001

Written by: J.M. DeMatteis and Keith Giffen
Art by: Howard Porter and Hi-Fi

Jim's Take:

I may be the biggest Justice League 3000 fan on this spaceship we call Earth and I'm sure that won't change with 3001.  However, I did not enjoy this preview.  It kills me that DC is giving this book a chance to catch on with new readers, but this is what is supposed to hook them in.  Sure, I love the idea of Guy Gardner as a woman, but everything else felt forced and a little tired.  If you are reading this and are turned off by this preview, please give the book a try come June.  I know that it will be great.  Trust me.


Eric's Take

This preview is par for the course when it comes to Justice League 3000.  I love the inclusion of Guy on this team.......especially as a woman, but I would love to get back to where we were in the last issue and not have to pick up one year later.  Fun story, good art, if you were a fan of this title before, there's no reason you shouldn't be picking this up in June.






Lobo

Written by: Cullen Bunn
Art by: Cliff Richards and Mike Atiyeh

Jim's Take:

I have not been a huge fan of Cullen Bunn's run on Lobo so far, but this preview took some steps towards redemption.  If you listen to our podcast, you'll know I'm not a fan of Cliff Richard's art, but it fits this book and the action in this preview was pretty cool.  Then it ended with Sinestro being shown as Lobo's next target and I had a huge smile on my face.  Well played, Cullen Bunn.  Well played.


Eric's Take

This preview looked great but as it's been since this title started.......... I just don't care about this new Lobo.  Yeah, I love me some Cullen Bunn, but not even he could get me to care about this character who went and took the Lobo I actually liked away from me.  I do love that our intergalactic assassin will be going after Sinestro in June, but even our master of fear joining the title doesn't make me excited to read this.

















1 comment:

  1. Jim, when you reviewed Convergence: Supergirl Matrix and said that you like fourth-wall breaking humor but that issue didn't cut it, I think Bat-Mite is more along the lines of the comic book comedy stylings you meant. I don't know if it's going to be a good comic but the preview made me laugh and I'm definitely checking it out. Ditto for Bizarro! And Eric, I'm with you on Gotham by Midnight--I like this book a lot, and while I thought Templesmith brought a suitable creepy vibe to it, sometimes I had trouble telling what was going on. This looks like a good re-start for the comic, and I really hope it catches on.

    ReplyDelete