Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Injustice: Year Four #14 Review

Written by: Brian Buccellato
Art by: Xermanico, Tom Derenick and Rex Lokus
Cover Price: $0.99
Release Date: August 4, 2015

How About Them Apples


Year Four of Injustice has really heated up over the past couple of weeks.  It's a good thing because this Year didn't come out of the gate running.  I wouldn't even say it was jogging, but Brian Buccellato has picked up the pace and the book has benefited greatly.  The Year of the Gods is finally paying off with the wild action Injustice fans crave and demand.  Last week, Shazam jumped back into the fray and really kicked ass and the issue ended with Superman being Superman and in this book that means being a huge asshole.  Did Superman have to pay for his actions?  Did the fun continue this week?  Let's find out...



If you didn't already figure it out, Superman killed Hercules at the end of last issue.  It pretty much sent shock waves through both sides of the fight, including Shazam who spared Herc before the Man of Steel showed up.  Like Superman gives a crap what Shazam thinks!  Lucky for Supes, the indifference doesn't go both ways because after Superman takes an arrow from Apollo, Shazam steps up again to save the day.



While I always love seeing Shazam go buck wild, this issue is dominated by another fight...Batman vs Robin.  For most of it, it feels like Damian vs his own insecurities as he lashes out at his father with reckless abandon.  I don't know what kind of free time the Dark Knight has, but I think he's watched Good Will Hunting recently because as Damian kicks and punches, he keeps telling him, "It's not your fault".  Don't F*** with me Batman. Not you!

As Batman ends his fight with a body blow, Shazam is going to town on the remainder of the Olympians.  Just when it looks like he can't be stopped, the Heavens open up and there is big trouble in Shazam world.  While I hope that Superman does him a solid (he really owes him one), we'll have to wait until next week to find out.



This was another fun, action packed issue.  The best parts are all Shazam, though.  Even though he's showing signs of doubt over Superman's methods, he still keeps fighting for him.  I'm hoping that Apollo's arrow did more damage to Superman, but just seeing how Shazam fares next week is enough to have me excited for next Tuesday.  As for Batman versus Robin, it was okay if you like Batman, but if you are a Damian fan, he comes of a bit too needy and whiny.



I liked the art except for one panel.  When Batman knocks out Damian, the book goes from a mature, great looking issue to a Looney Tunes episode.  Don't get me wrong, I love me some Loony Tunes, but not out of nowhere or in a book like this.  Other than that, it looks damn good.

Bits and Pieces:

This issue was another action packed slugfest and I am so glad.  We are deep into the Year of the Gods and if this pace keeps up, there won't be any of them left at the end.  Shazam kicks major ass, but Damian comes off a bit too needy.  That's okay, though, because Batman gives him a fatherly beatdown that I wish came sooner.  The art was good for the most part and I am back to enjoying (and recommending) one of my favorite books.

8.5/10

4 comments:

  1. Just. . . have Bruce and Damian ever thought about DeadWing watching???
    Dick could still revive, and I'd love to see the look on Damian's face when DeadWing checks out footage from this fight (Cyborg was at the scene, of course there will be footage left).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we see Deadwing again and yes, I hope that he beats the living crap out of Damian. I am a huge Damian fan...just not in this book!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. No, he won't. I'd love to see him teaching Damian a lesson as well but they seem to have such a deep bond and Dick just doesn't have the heart to do it. He would try to talk Damian into listening to Bruce, which obviously will be in vain. DeadWing donesn't seem to fit into Year Four's frame, so anyway, we've still got Year Five and a possible Year Six to wait for.

      Delete