Friday, October 9, 2015

Cyborg #3 Review and *SPOILERS*


Man of The (Machine) People


Written By: David F. Walker
Art By: Ivan Reis, Eduardo Pansica, Scott Hanna, Oclair Albert, Adriano Lucas, Corey Breen
Cover Price: $2.99
Release Date: October 7, 2015

*Non Spoilers and Score At The Bottom*

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I'm still waiting on a "Booyah" from this series and while yes, I would love to see the exclamation in the book, I'm talking more of a "Booyah" moment for me.  As of right now....... and I know we're only in the third issue and I should just cool my jets a bit, but as of right now, this series hasn't grabbed me the way that I thought it would.  We've got Technosapiens and Tekbreakers doing their whole multiversal war thing and somewhere in there we have our cybernetic hero playing with himself..........no really, he has a new body and he's seeing how it works....pervs.  Anyway, Cyborg's new tech has brought the Technosapiens to Earth and I guess I'll find out if this issue brings that all fabled "Booyah" into my life.  Let's jump into this issue and check it out.

Explain It!:

As we begin with this issue, we see where we left off with Bobby Zirrozinski........ who I guess now is named Bobby Zirrowski....... for some reason, being overtaken by the Technosapiens.  Like I said, we all saw the Technosapiens standing over Bobby in the previous issue and either we jump a head in time or shit got real..... real fast because when we hop back to Cyborg, our hero has already gathered people on the street to act as Detroit's first line of defense against the alien invasion.  So the fight is on and instead of seeing all that humanizing of the character that people keep talking about in this series, we get Cyborg spouting out one-liners as he takes out the Technosapiens.  Luckily, we're saved from the monotony of the situation when help arrives in the form of the Metal Men.  I can't tell you how happy I am to see these characters here because while I clamored on and on for a Cyborg book to come out before it was announced, I think that a Cyborg and The Metal Men book could have been even cooler and after reading this issue, I'm still leaning towards that direction.


In this issue, we jump between a fight at STAR Labs where the scientists and staff are doing their damnedest to survive and Cyborg and the Metal Men fighting to make their way to the lab.  The Metal Men stuff is great, but the most compelling that Cyborg is in this issue is when he tells Dr. Magnus that the Justice League aren't coming because everyone's busy dealing with the invasion on their own......... and the reason this is so compelling has nothing to do with Cyborg himself.  This week in comics we already saw Jim Gordon's Batman become a member of the Justice League and in this issue when we're shown the League taking on the Technosapiens, we see Wonder Woman, Flash, Shazam and Batgirl.  Now these could just be random characters that the penciller decided to draw in, but it's weird that three of the four of the heroes are Justice Leaguers........ what I'm trying to say is..... Could Batgirl be in the Justice League at some point in the future?


In the end, the Tekbreakers show up at STAR Labs and save the staff from the Technosapiens, but when Vic finally shows up, he's not happy to see the people that killed him back in May's Sneak Peek.


As our issue closes Cyborg is ready to throw down for a second round, but Sarah Charles tells him to knock it off and listen for a minute and when Cyborg finally calms himself, we see that the leader of the Tekbreakers is actually Sarah Charles from a parallel world.  If that isn't too much of a "What The Fuck" moment, this Tekbreaker doppelganger tells Cyborg that they're there to help stop the war that Dr. Stone started.  Oh Cyborg!  What did your daddy do?


That's it for this issue of Cyborg and I think that this might be my favorite issue of the series so far, but none of it had to do with Cyborg himself.  All we really see here of the title character is him spouting one liners and raging out when he comes up against the Tekbreakers at the end saying over and over again how they killed him.  The real hype of the issue for me was getting to see the Metal Men again and getting an initial understanding about what's going on with this story when the Technosapiens talk about the "song" that drives them and that Cyborg is apparently their chosen one.  This is a really quick read, but has excellent art all the way through and really, would you expect anything less from Ivan Reis?  Really though, besides for the things that I've already said and the cool ass cliffhanger that really gives me hope that this series will become something that should seriously be paid attention to, this is a bit of a humdrum issue that is exciting only because we see heroes kicking aliens' asses....... let me reiterate, this is probably my favorite issue in the series....... and I'm still like "meh".

Bits and Pieces:

Cyborg ups the ante in action with this issue, but besides for that and a pretty bad ass cliffhanger, there really isn't much to be excited for about this issue........ well, besides for the guest stars that is and with only three issues in, I shouldn't be so happy about guest stars, I should be drooling over the main character.  Sadly, Cyborg comes off little more than a 80's action star as he whoops alien ass and spews out one-liners.  This is probably the best issue in the series so far, but offers little in making Cyborg feel like a solo character.

6.3/10

3 comments:

  1. Huh...Well, Batgirl actually makes sense for the Justice League...More sense than her dad for sure...And given her boost in popularity, I can see DC tossing her into the big leagues to match it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seeing the metal men in action makes me really excited for their mini series coming next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are we really surprised that Vic's dad has something to do with this Tech War. He's one really bad dad!

    ReplyDelete